Happendance Impulse is a pre-professional and pre-collegiate contemporary dance company with a focus on providing opportunities for its members to explore the world of professional and academic dance. Happendance Impulse dancers, ages 5 to 18, gain experience in choreography and concert production, and perform pieces choreographed by a wide diversity of Mid-Michigan and nationally recognized choreographers. Performances are frequent throughout the year. In addition, dancers perform with a diverse group of guest companies, in an original story ballet, as well as with the Greater Lansing Ballet Company annually. Through Happendance Impulse, members are challenged to develop their creativity, technique, performance skills, character development, leadership skills, and professionalism better preparing them for a future in professional and academic dance, as well as being a life-long mover and supporter of the arts.
A number of Happendance Impulse Alumni that have gone on to study in college dance programs including University of Michigan, Ohio State University, Wayne State University, Western Michigan University, Grand Valley State University, Alma College, Hope College, Oakland University, Butler University, and Indiana University. Happendance Impulse creates and develops experiences, skills, and leadership activities that help our alumni be college ready in any major.
Further, we practice safe environment, utilize non-competitive casting, and work diligently to create a family-like atmosphere where everyone is included, respected, supported, as well as challenged to grow as a dancer, a creative artist, a leader, and a person.
Happendance Impulse Objectives
- Provide a nurturing and safe environment to foster self-development and creativity
- Empower dancers to become familiar with who they are and how they want to express themselves as movement artists
- Empower dancers to develop a creative style and vision, as well as creative development goals
- Provide professional training in modern, jazz, tap, hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, world dance, ballet, and fusion techniques
- Expose dancers to a wide variety of dance styles and choreographers
- Provide a wide variety of performance opportunities
- Provide opportunities to choreograph
- Provide volunteer and leadership opportunities
- Provide an age appropriate pre-professional and college preparatory environment